Stomp Out Bullying-Blue Shirt Day
- Howard-Winn students and staff participated in this international event on October 7 by wearing their #CadetNation t-shirts. Here are photos from the Elma and Cresco campuses showing student participation in the goal of taking a stand on bullying prevention.
|#CadetNation: Standing together as one!|
|#CadetNation:Building school pride one t-shirt at a time!|
- Congratulations to the Cadets on their win Monday evening against Independence. The half-time show performed by the Cadet Marching Band was outstanding! Very proud!
- Students were taught the procedures for evacuation from the school buses in case of an emergency. The first drills were held on all campuses this week. Bus evacuation drills are held twice each year. Thanks to our H-W bus drivers and Mr. Brian Swestka, Transportation Director, for the great job they do getting our students to and from school and all of the activities held throughout the year!
- The staff participated in meetings on Wednesday. At Elma and Lime Springs/Chester, the teachers worked on analyzing test scores and developing student achievement goals for groups of students. These goals are based on the results from recent assessments. In Cresco, K-5 teachers worked on scheduling for implementing the Response-to-Intervention (RTI) model. This is part of the plan for school improvement. Teachers listened to presentations given by Amy Holst and Marcia Kruse from Keystone. Secondary teachers met to discuss Competency-Based Education, the CBE grant that has been submitted, and they continued their work on emergency planning. The remainder of time was spent on Professional Development PLCs.
- Ms. Burke's students used iPads to practice patterning this week. They pretended to work in an apple orchard during dramatic play and were able to pick apples off of a tree, use a cash register and money to buy and sell apples, and write out receipts. They made homemade applesauce in class. Mr. Knobloch did a presentation for the class about different animals that grow thicker fur in the winter.
- Mrs. Merkel's preschoolers enjoyed the Homecoming activities last week. They loved having Howie the mascot visit their PE class one day. Students have been working on the inquiry question, "Is apple cider the same as apple juice?" They used their senses in many different ways to help them investigate this question.
- In Lime Springs/Chester, Mrs. Marr's preschoolers learned the Jolly Phonics songs for C and K last week. They are watching the trees for signs of changing colors as they continue to study the fall season. Students learned about scarecrows through books and discussions.
- Mrs. Tieskoetter's students had a birthday party for Johnny Appleseed and did taste-testing of a variety of apple foods. This week they have been working to discover what happens to bugs in the winter months. They learned the new words "migration" and "hibernation." The students are anxious to see how long before the bugs in Cresco start to hibernate or migrate south.
- The week of October 7-11 is Fire Prevention Week. Students participated in lessons on fire safety, Stop, Drop and Roll, and making evacuation plans. There were fire drills held in some of the buildings. Area volunteer fire departments brought fire trucks to school and gave tours of the fire stations. A BIG shout out to our local fire departments for all they do to protect our communities and for volunteering their time to help educate students on fire safety! They are great role models for H-W students!
|1st graders in the fire truck|
|Kindergarten students with the Cresco Firemen|
|Kindergarten students with all smiles in the fire truck|