The RTI Team met this week to review the action plans and proceed with the implementation process. Some of the topics that were discussed in the meeting include:
- The focus this year at the State level is full implementation of the Iowa Core with fidelity.
- Large blocks of instructional time are necessary to teach the Core in reading and math.
- A new term for RTI is being used by the State, Multi-Tier Systems of Support (MTSS). The reason for the new term is that this model should be for ALL students. The term "interventions" has a different implication.
- Data will be gathered on students being served through "pullouts" from the classrooms.
- An intervention data base will be developed. Teachers have already begun to submit strategies for this data base.
Administrators from Keystone AEA 1 met in Elkader on October 2. The summit was an opportunity to meet with officials in the various departments of the DE. A variety of topics were covered in the sessions. The sessions I attended included:
- Early Childhood - Penny Milburn and Jennifer Adkins
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) - Susan Bruce
- Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) - Tom Deeter
- Legislation - Mike Cormack
- School Finance - Joyce Thomsen
Fall Testing Completed
It was a fun week for students having dress-up days to celebrate Homecoming and show CADET SPIRIT! Special activities on Friday included PK-5 students from all campuses meeting in the HS gym for a Pep Rally. Elementary students ate lunch together at Crestwood Elementary. Following a three-hour early dismissal, the Homecoming parade started at the High School and made its way through the downtown area.
|Savannah Lentz & Jade Miller|
|Saddle the Stangs!|
Howard-Winn Elementary students came together for an assembly in the K-8 gym to kick off their annual fundraiser. This year students in Cresco, Elma and Lime Springs/Chester will be working together to earn funds for field trips. PK-5 students will be participating in The Chip Shoppe school fundraiser. The main use of these funds is for district-wide field trips for students. Each grade level attends at least two field trips, a fine arts performance and a field trip connected with subject area curriculum.
|H-W Elem. students at the Chip Shoppe fundraiser assembly.|
STOMP Out Bullying™ created BLUE SHIRT DAY™ WORLD DAY OF BULLYING PREVENTION
This is observed on the first Monday of October. All students and staff were asked to wear their #cadetnation T-shirts to school today to show their support for Stomping Out Bullying.