I would like to wish everyone in the district a happy holiday filled with family time and thankfulness for all that is good in our lives.
I am pleased to have the news that my foot is healing well, and I am able to return to school. I have missed seeing the students and staff and am ready to return! Thanks to kindergarten students for sending me Get Well cards in the mail.
|Mrs. Einck's students generated QR codes with Get Well wishes.|
|Mrs. Timp's students used their hands to create Thanksgiving & Get Well greetings.|
This month is filled with academic, musical and athletic events. Please check the school calendar. These are just a few of the events coming up:
Dec. 2 Gr. 7-9 Vocal Concert
Dec. 9 Gr. 7-8 Science Fair
JH-HS Band Concert
Dec. 10 Teacher Leadership Team to Des Moines "3 C's of Teacher Leadership"
Dec. 12 Cresco K-1 Vocal Music Program
Dec. 14-15 Madrigal
Dec. 17 Investigations in Iowa Core Math Team meets in Calmar
Dec. 18 Competency-Based Education Collaborative meets in Des Moines
Kessel Kids Outdoor Playground Project
Kessel Kids has set the goal of raising money to build a Natural Outdoor Playground at the Cresco Early Childhood Center. Kessel Kids serves the Cresco community and its low-income families with affordable day care. The proposed playground will include native plants, rolling hills, trees and raised gardens. Kessel Kids Director, Melissa Vobr, and the Natural Playground Committee recently provided an update of their funding successes. Great job working toward the goal! Kessel Kids is a non-profit organization and would welcome donations for the playground.
- Received the McElroy grant in the amount of $6,000
- Received $5,000 from the Ed and Betty Squires Trust
- Thanks to the Chamber of Commerce, all proceeds from this year's auction at the CIDC banquet was donated to the project totaling $5,485! Amazing community support!
- Have also raised around $1,500 from small fundraising opportunities such as Scrip Sales as well as the Moo Mobile. Currently, Kessel is doing a small Pampered Chef fundraiser which ended this week.
- Mrs. Foster's 3rd grade Title I students created Animoto videos to work on their reading comprehension and writing skills. The videos are "All About Astronauts." Check out the link to one of the 3rd gr. videos: http://animoto.com/play/8tXr2oYFddarX4vIdNDTCQ
- Mrs. Kuhn shared updates this week on her "First Grade Fun" blog for 1C. In literacy, the 1st graders are learning about, "How Our World Changes." They are learning how plants and animals grow and change, how things move and change and how nature affects changes. Students are learning comprehension skills, accuracy and vocabulary strategies. They are learning summarizing and identifying details and facts. Mrs. Kuhn also shared about writing and math skills. Classroom blogs are used by many teachers to communicate and involve parents in what is going on at school. Sharing reading strategies with parents is one of the SINA Action Plans to encourage parent involvement in reading instruction. The link to the 1C blog: http://1ccadets.blogspot.com/
- Mrs. Rausch updated her 1B Blog this week as well. She described the upcoming inquiry project in literacy and the topics in social studies and math. 1st graders have been working on family turkey projects, and these will be displayed in the hallway. Mrs. Rausch posted many 1st gr. level reading strategies. Again, these efforts are toward school-to-home connections. Mrs. Rausch's blog may be found at: http://rauschc.blogspot.com/
- 5th grade teachers, Kelly Sorenson and Becky Halverson, use their blogs to communicate with students and parents on a daily or weekly basis. Mrs. McCarville communicates in like fashion with her 3rd graders and their parents. Teachers put a great deal of time into their blogging, and parents enjoy keeping up with their students at school. These blogs may be found at: http://5bblogger.blogspot.com/ crestwood5anews.blogspot.com cmccarville.blogspot.com
- Mrs. Marr's preschoolers in Lime Springs/Chester use the iPads to practice their learning about making patterns.
- Mrs. Vsetecka's pre-kindergarten students at Cresco learned about healthy foods this week. They read the story Growing Vegetable Soup, and made their own soup in a crock pot. Students are also learning about germs and why it's important to wash hands. In Jolly Phonics, there are learning the sound the letter "d" makes.