Athletic Director Jim Obermann
Cadets enjoying success...this past week has been a very successful week for the Crestwood varsity winter sports teams, and the last week heading into the holiday break will be another busy one.
- Varsity wrestlers show dominance...the varsity wrestling team, after its convincing 3-0 home opening quad competition, was again very dominant at their first team tournament of the year. After defeating all three teams at the quad the night before by wide margins, the Cadets traveled to Wapsie Valley and placed nine wrestlers into the finals on their way to a convincing team tournament championship. The Cadets ended up with six champs on the day. Of special note was Hunter Slifka who captured his 100th win of his career. Congratulations Hunter!!
- The Cadets stay busy this week as they travel to Charles City Friday night for their conference opener and travel to Oelwein on Saturday for another tournament.
- The Cadets will again be participating in the Battle of Waterloo next Friday and Saturday. Details will be in next week's update as match-ups will be determined this weekend. Also, the Battle of Waterloo has a website you can access to find out the match-ups early in the week.
- Varsity boys basketball go 2-0...the boys this past week had convincing wins over two very solid opponents in Sumner-Fredericksburg and Charles City. The boys have a bit of a break as they next host Oelwein on Tuesday.
- The JV boys have a home tournament Saturday morning...tip-off is at 9:00 and there will be games at the jr. high and high school.
- The varsity boys also have a trip coming up next weekend as they travel to Spirit Lake for an overnight stay and a pair of games against Spirit Lake and Storm Lake. The varsity reserves will start the action on Friday night as they play at 6:00, followed by the varsity. The Storm Lake game will just be a varsity game beginning at 3:00 on Saturday.
- Varsity girls basketball also goes 2-0...the varsity girls also had a pair of wins since the last update with solid wins over South Winn. and Charles City. Defense was the key in both wins as they held their opponents' scoring down. The girls have a pair of games next week at Oelwein and home vs. MFL.
- The 9th grade game has been cancelled at Oelwein on Tuesday due to low numbers for the Huskies. The first game will be the JV game at 6:15.
- The 9th grade team won their tournament in Preston, Minn., this past weekend...congrats!!
- Feeder teams looking strong...it is good to see our younger teams experiencing success as well, and this obviously bodes well for the future. The jr. high girls will wrap up their seasons next week with two more games. The boys basketball teams are just getting started and will have their first games on Thursday. The jr. high wrestlers still will have a couple more weeks to their season after the holiday break.
- For your convenience, concessions are now being sold at Jr. High events. Thank you to Coach Karen Steffen, Mrs. Obermann and the cross country team for making this happen.
- Congratulations to the Crestwood Comp. Squad...the Comp. Squad participated in a competition this past Saturday in Des Moines and had a strong showing. And I would also like to recognize Coach Kim Lehmkuhl and her winter squads for all of their team spirit at winter events.
And in conclusion, you are encouraged to get into the Christmas spirit by attending the Madrigal this upcoming weekend. Many of the Crestwood athletes are pulling double-duty these days as they prepare for this important Christmas tradition at Crestwood.