Athletic Director Jim Obermann
Weather challenges continue...Despite more weather challenges, the winter sports Cadet teams continue to have success!
- Cadet Girls Basketball one game away from the show...since the last update, the Cadet girls have scored two convincing wins in tournament action. Last Saturday, the girls pulled away from a well-coached North Fayette Valley squad to secure an opening round regional victory by a score of 51-29. And then on Wednesday, the girls beat conference foe Waukon by a score of 55-28. The Cadets turned on the pressure in the second half to pull away for their third victory over Waukon this season. This victory sets up a regional final date with Mount Vernon at Independence this Saturday. This will be a 7:00 start at the new Independence Jr./Sr. High School located at 700 20th Ave. SW. The winner of this contest advances to the state tournament to be held the first week of March. The 20-2 Cadet girls appear very focused as they take on a 15-8 Mount Vernon squad. Best of Luck to the girls and their coaches!!!!
- Cadet Boys Basketball gearing up for tournament action...since the last update, the boys have had two more conference games and another postponement. The varsity boys lost two hard-fought conference games to WSR and Decorah, while the Waukon game has been postponed twice more. The Waukon games have been rescheduled to Friday, Feb. 21st - due to weather the game has once again been canceled and will not be made up since the boys go into tournament play next Monday.
- The 9th and JV teams may be finished if the Waukon games aren't played. Both squads displayed an aggressive uptempo style that the Cadets have been known to display. Congratulations to both squads and their coaches on all of their season accomplishments.
- Catch the doubleheader district action on Monday!!! Crestwood will be hosting a doubleheader of district action on Monday, Feb. 24th. The first game will pit Decorah and Waukon at 6:30, followed by Oelwein vs. Crestwood. The winners will square off on Thursday at either Waukon or Decorah. Again, there will be three available entrances for admission, the main doors, the north door, and the east door. Admission is $6 for everyone.
- Cadet Wrestlers battling at the state meet...three Cadet wrestlers advanced to the state meet this week in Des Moines. At the district meet this past Saturday, Brandon Mayer, Chase Lienhard, and Hunter Slifka advanced to the state meet. The traditionally tough Northeast Iowa 2A district at New Hampton was again loaded with talent. Congratulations to all of the Cadet district qualifiers for having a great year!
- Thursday, at the opening round of the state meet, Brandon Mayer and Hunter Slifka both advanced with close hard-fought wins. Hunter won in overtime. Chase Lienhard battled hard but lost his first two matches and is done. Congratulations to Chase on a great season!! Hunter and Brandon will again be in action this morning at 9:00 as they remain alive to make the podium.
Travel safely fans as you continue to support the Cadets down the tournament trail!!!!