Special Events for the Week of February 10 - February 16, 2014
Monday: Turkey Valley HS Visit - 1:00 p.m.
School Board Meeting - 7:00 p.m. Elma
Thursday: Iowa Youth Survey Data Analysis - 9 a.m. - Amy Holst, Keystone AEA
Grand Meadow HS Visit - 1:30 p.m.
Friday: CBE Design Team - 9:30 a.m.
Junior High and High School teacher classroom evaluations have been completed. This includes post-observation conferences and necessary paperwork. The next phase moves into the Career Performance Review, otherwise known as the summative phase/portfolio/collection of artifacts. Many teachers are developing e-portfolios this year.
Student Counseling Support
Crestwood High School will now be hosting a counselor from Northeast Iowa Behavioral Health - Decorah available to see see students during a study hall. Below is the process to arrange an appointment for your son/daughter to receive counseling.
- When calling to set up your first appointment, please tell the receptionist that you would like your son/daughter to be seen at Crestwood High School.
- The receptionist will then schedule your first appointment in Decorah with the correct counselor.
- Following the initial meeting, you son or daughter can be seen at the High School during a study hall.
Mountain Climber Award Nominations
Reminder: Mountain Climber Award Nominations are due on Feb. 28. This award seeks to recognize students who have overcome difficulties to succeed academically, behaviorally, or with overall citizenship. The award is focused not on students who necessarily achieved at high levels, rather students that have overcome difficult situations.
Benefits of Competency Based Education
- Competency based education’s goal is to demonstrate a set of skills and knowledge in a select field through authentic assessments. It allows the student to learn what they need to learn in the way they learn best.
- With competency based education, students must demonstrate proficiency in many areas in order to graduate the program with a degree, certificate, or distinction.
- Some students may come to the program already able to demonstrate certain proficiencies, so students can easily enter the program at different points.
- Each student learns at their own pace.
- Each competency has rich content to choose from to meet the needs of each student.
- Learning can be quite individualized while still teaching a larger group of students.