Superintendent John Carver
Howard-Winn Redesign: Where are we at?
We are very close to taking the next steps forward. Staff assignments for 2014-15 will be out soon. With that in place, plans/actions will be made for transitioning teachers and students. The direction is that "Open Houses" at both Lime Springs and the Cresco K-8 campus will happen in mid May. Based on what we know at this time TENTATIVE Bus Routes are being developed.
- We have 23 applicants for the position of PK-1 Principal/Director of Teaching and Learning. I am in the process of assembling a selection and interview TEAM. The thinking is there would be representation from Pr-K, elementary, middle, secondary teachers, administration, and a Board member. The TEAM would review paperwork and the first round interview would be virtual. Stay tuned for details.
- THANK YOU for the input on the 2014-15 School Calendar. Check the Howard-Winn webpage to see the latest working draft. http://www.howard-winn.k12.ia.us/
Special Meeting: Board of Education
The Board of Education met in Special Session last Monday, March 31st. Items addressed included:
- Approval of the Contract with the Howard Winneshiek Educational Association (HWEA) 5.15% Total package increase.
- Approval on a 2 year Contract with Bus Drivers. 3% increase in year one and 3% increase in year two.
- Approval of a full time Director of Student Services: Activities and Citizenship. Responsibilities to include: promoting, supervising, and evaluating student activities and student success and behavior.
- Discussion also centered on the Property Tax Rate and income surtax reduction.
Task Force Howard County met Saturday, March 29th at the Cresco Campus of Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC). Discussion items included: BROADBAND, Home Base Iowa and housing. A lot of ground has been covered in just a short time.
- Partnering with Omnitel (Nora Springs) paper work was submitted to the FCC on possible funding for BROADBAND. http://howard-winnpublicrelations.blogspot.com/2014/03/omnitel-files-expression-of-interest.html
- Howard County will be the second Iowa County to achieve the Home Base status. It looks like Governor Branstad will be at the "Mighty" Howard County Fair to celebrate and present the designation http://www.homebaseiowa.org/
- Great discussion on HOUSING took place. The direction going forward is to have a Housing assessment done and develop the concept of of "backfilling" new homes in established neighborhoods. Exciting concept.
New Hampshire meets Howard-Winneshiek
TEAM Howard-Winneshiek went to Pittsville, New Hampshire to exchange thinking and learn about Competency Based Education (CBE). This was a GREAT experience with many take-aways. CBE is one of the foundational pieces in designing 21st century learning!
The Howard-Winn TEAM included Howard-Winn students, teachers and Bev Burns, Consultant, Keystone AEA and Kathleen Nacos-Burds, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Northeast Iowa Community College. We are creating a K-16 continuum of learning! More to come!
Just another Monday at #2020 Howard-Winn.......as shared on TWITTER!
It does seem that anymore an ordinary day at Howard-Winn is anything less than ordinary. Take last Monday. Simon Estes spent time with the Crestwood High School student body. Mrs. Tuchek "pinched hit" for Mrs. Day (who was on the CBE trip) and chaperoned our All State Speech kids and we had a TEAM of teachers, administrators, students and a representative from NICC in New Hampshire learning about Competency Based Education. And all this was shared in real time on TWITTER.
Howard-Winn is on the move! Jump in and follow the story on TWITTER at #2020HowardWinn and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howard-Winneshiek-CSD/573299702720770
- Good Luck to CADET Track and Golfers. Warm weather is coming!
- Looking forward to WONDERFUL Music Saturday night at the Jazz Spotlight!
- Wonderful Music came from the Howard-Winn Lime Spring-Chester campus last week......Mrs. Holstrom's students gave a FANTASTIC Spring concert!
- Last Saturday, what a wonderful day of Music!! The Instrumental and Vocal contest put the spotlight on poise and talent! Way to go Crestwood Students and Parents in hosting a great Solo & Ensemble Festival! Special THX U to Mrs. Kim Lehmkuhl for stepping up and helping out!
- Way to go Crestwood Scientists! Mr. Knobloch. Mrs. Bohr and Mrs. Johnson are inspiring the next Norman Borlaugs! Grest job at the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa. These are some of the young people to WATCH! WOW!