Athletic Director Jim Obermann
I think Spring has Sprung....and all the new weather challenges that go along with that are here...
- Both the boys and girls track teams were able to get in a meet earlier in the week as the boys competed at New Hampton on Monday and the girls traveled to Waverly on Tuesday. Both squads competed well in a basic tune-up for the conference meet which was to be held yesterday (Thursday) in New Hampton. The NEIC meet was postponed until next Monday, May 12 back in New Hampton. It is a 5:00 start on the field events.
- With this postponement, the Co-Ed Meet at Waukon on Monday has been cancelled.
- The last home jr. high meet, which was going to be a Co-Ed Meet yesterday, has been cancelled.
- It has been another tough spring for outdoor sporting events, but we and other schools have made a good attempt to reschedule. However, sometimes the weather still doesn't cooperate.
- A special thanks to those that helped put on the two home high school meets that we were able to have. We are hoping for better luck next year.
- Besides the conference meet on Monday, the girls and boys will travel to Waverly on Thursday, May 15 for their state qualifying meet. The top two place finishers in each event, plus the next best 8 performances in the state in the 3A state qualifying meets, will qualify for the state meet. It figures to be a very challenging task as the meet will feature some very strong teams. Teams attending the state qualifying meet in Waverly will be Crestwood, Decorah, Charles City, Waverly-Shell Rock, Waukon, Oelwein, Independence, and West Delaware.
- Good Luck to all of the Cadet track and field participants next week.
- The junior high girls and boys will have their conference meets next Friday.
- The girls and boys regular season golf schedules are coming to a close as well as the girls have their conference meet next Monday in Oelwein and the boys is still a week away.
- Crestwood and the Cresco Country Club will be hosting the first round of girls regionals a week from Monday.
- The boys will have their sectional meet next Friday at the Cedar Ridge Golf Course in Charles City and then return there the following Monday for their conference meet.
- Good Luck to the golfers down the tournament fairway....
- There tends to be a bit of an overlap of sports in the state of Iowa, especially in the spring. Baseball has one week of practice concluded and softball practice begins on Monday. My philosophy, and our coaches' philosophy as well, is to help students participate in as many activities as possible. That means that we share kids in our activities and we have to work together to allow student-athletes to manage partial practices in sports, and to really focus on completing one sport strong before moving on to the next one. The student-athletes have handled this very well, and the main goal in the sharing of kids in activities is to make all of our programs as strong as they can be.
- Baseball and softball games will begin in a couple of weeks, but there are no home games until June.
- The new baseball and softball scoreboards should be arriving shortly, and the plan is to have them up and operational by the first home games.
As the school year comes to a close, coaches will be making plans with their athletes for summer conditioning, summer camps, etc. I plan to discuss in more detail in the next update some of the expectations and demands of our athletes in the summer as they use this time to hone their skills.