Athletic Director Jim Obermann
Greetings from Des Moines and the State Track Meet...Unlike the entire season, the weather for the first day of the state track meet was ideal and it looks to be just as good for the rest of the weekend. I will have a more complete rundown of the Cadets in action in next week's blog as this will be posted before all of our events have been concluded. Yesterday, the Cadets got off to a good start with some strong performances..,
- Kate Sheehy was the first to perform in the 3000 meter run. She battled in a strong field and ran most of the race in the top 10 and finished in 18th place. This was Kate's first state track competition, but she has the Distance Medley to anchor on Friday and she will run the 1500 meter run on Saturday.
- Miranda Kerian, competing in her 8th and 9th state track events in her career, ran a season's best in the 100 and placed 11th. A little later in the day, Miranda ran her PR in the 200 and placed 19th. Miranda will compete in her 10th career state track event on Friday as she runs the 400 of the Distance Medley.
- Brandon Slifka topped off the day with a 7th place finish in the discus, bringing home his first state track medal, and scoring the first points of the meet for the Cadets.
- Joining Miranda and Kate in the Distance Medley on Friday will be Madison Sickles and Megan Guyer. Matt Cuvelier will also compete in the long jump on Friday, and Matthew Ferrie will compete in the 100, 200, and 400 Wheelchair events on Saturday.
Regional and District Golf Competitors...It continues to be a strong spring for Cadet golfers as well. Both Will Thomson and Savannah Lentz have advanced to the second round of tournament play and will golf for the right to play in the state tournament. Results will be in next week's update.
- Girls Regional Golf - At the first round regional golf meet held at the Cresco Country Club on Monday, the Cadet girls placed fourth, and Savannah Lentz was the medalist, winning by a single stroke. Savannah advances to play at Independence in the regional final for a right to go to state.
- A big thank you to Scott Butikofer, Rich Barr, and all of the Country Club workers for helping to make this such as smooth and successful meet. The weather wasn't ideal, but it ended up being a decent day.
- Also, a big shout-out to Crestwood Girls Golf Coach Jason Sorenson for all of his hard work in setting up a great meet!!
- Boys Golf - Since the last update, the boys have had both their sectional meet and conference meet. Last Friday, at Charles City, Will Thomson won the sectional and advanced to the district meet at Waverly this Friday. And on this past Monday, the Cadets had a strong showing at the conference meet, finishing 3rd. The team was lead by all-conference performers Will Thomson and Alex Kerian. Great job boys on a fantastic season!
The baseball and softball seasons get under way next week as well...more about the start of their seasons in the next post. Busy times, but fun times!! Also, be looking for the new scoreboards to light the night sky at the baseball/softball complex. The new boards have arrived and Larry Trende and his team will have them up within the next week!