Athletic Director Jim Obermann
Hooray!!! Summer is here....The recent beautiful weather is a sight for sore eyes... and old joints! Here is a recap of the last couple of days at the state track meet and the golf regional and district events:
- Boys Track - After Brandon Slifka's 7th place medal earning performance in the discus, Matthew Cuvelier placed 19th with a jump of 19-04.25 on Friday. On the last day of competition on Saturday, Matthew Ferrie placed 4th in the 100 meter wheelchair race, and 5th in both the 200 and 400 wheelchair events. Congrats to these guys who represented Crestwood very well and to their coaches as well.
- Girls Track - I reported on Kate Sheehy's and Miranda Kerian's Thursday events in the last update. But to recap, Kate placed 18th in the 3000 meter run and Miranda placed 11th in the 100 meter dash and 19th in the 200 meter dash. Miranda's 11th place finish was her highest placing in her 10 events of which she has qualified over her four years in high school and her 200 time was her PR for her career. The Distance Medley team of Madison Sickles, Megan Guyer, Miranda, and Kate placed 17th, cutting 5 seconds off their state qualifying time. On Saturday, Kate broke a school record in the 1500 meter run with a time of 4:59.25 and placed 13th. The girls also represented Crestwood in a very positive manner.
- Boys Golf - Will Thomson did not advance out of districts, but he closed out an outstanding year and career as a Crestwood golfer having lead his team with the lowest average over all four years of high school.
- Girls Golf - Congratulations to Savannah Lentz for qualifying for the state golf meet for the 2nd year in a row. Savannah placed 3rd at the regional meet in Independence this past Tuesday and will now golf at the Ames Golf & Country Club next Monday and Tuesday(June 2-3). We wish her the best of luck. Savannah will close out an outstanding golf career by also leading her team with the low average all four years of her high school career as well.
Softball & Baseball Seasons are underway...
- The varsity softball team has a 2-1 record after one week of the season with a win over MFL-Mar Mac and a split in their conference opener with Charles City. Their game with Riceville was rained out and no makeup date has been determined as of yet. The JV girls also had their first game with a win over MFL.
- The varsity baseball team has an 0-2 record going into their weekend tournament at Kee High. They lost two close games with Clayton Ridge and St. Ansgar. And the 2nd game of the doubleheader with St. Ansgar was suspended due to darkness. The game was tied at 5.
- Schedule note - The varsity tournament this weekend will take place in Lansing and not at New Albin.
- By next week, if not today, the new softball and baseball scoreboards should be up and operational. Thanks to the All-Sports Booster Club for the full donation of these scoreboards and to Larry Trende and his team for mounting and connecting them. More discussion is taking place on the potential purchase of new scoreboards for the high school gym as well.
**I am looking forward to an exciting summer of games as all levels get into action next week. I will continue my athletic director duties through the last home baseball or softball game and then I will turn the reins over to my replacement. It has been an honor to serve the Crestwood community as your athletic director. Have a great summer!