Superintendent John Carver
Good Luck Class of 2014! http://howard-winnpublicrelations.blogspot.com/2014/05/commencement-recap-crestwood-class-of.html
We are running hard towards the end of the school year. With June 3 as the last day of classes, teachers are focused on making each day left of the semester a meaningful learning experience. The last days of the semester are just as important, if not more, than the first days of the semester! Wonderful learning happening at Howard-Winn!
Summer "Food Program"
The Howard-Winneshiek Community School District will again this summer provide free meals to children through the USDA-sponsored Summer Food Service Program. There are no income requirements or registration and any child under the age of 18 may participate. A big THANK YOU to Howard-Winn Food Service Director Cheryl Dickman and her TEAM for making this happen. For details and more information go to: http://howard-winnpublicrelations.blogspot.com/2014/05/summer-food-program-feeds-kids-for-free.html
Dollars for Scholars
Howard-Winn is indeed blessed with the support and commitment of the Crestwood Dollars for Scholars Chapter. The group's efforts provide Crestwood CADETS a good financial "step forward" toward the next chapter of their lives. THANK YOU! Read more at: http://howard-winnpublicrelations.blogspot.com/2014/05/crestwood-dollars-for-scholars-program.html
Looking forward at the 2014-15 School Year
Howard-Winn is on the move! Many things are happening and are "in play".
- Pre-Schools will operate in Elma, Lime Springs, and Cresco. Grades K-1 will be in Cresco. PK-1 instruction and programing will be led by Principal Mrs. Sara Grimm. Mrs. Grimm will also serve as our Director of Teaching and Learning.
- Grades 2-3 and 5-6 will be in Cresco and led by Principal Greg Adams. Mr. Adams will also serve as the District's Special Education Director.
- Grades 7-12 will be led by Principal Tim Feldermann. Mr. Feldermann will also be facilitating and leading Competency Based Education (CBE) and Project Lead The Way District initiatives.
- To be approved at the next board meeting, Brian Hilsabeck will be joining the CADET TEAM as Director of Student Services with responsibilities of Activities and Citizenship. This position in some Districts is referred to as an Activity Director/Dean of Students.
- BUSING: Routes and pick up points are still being designed. Exact pick up times will be determined by the number and locations of children needing to transportation. We will run a 4th grade route to Lime Springs. Day Care pick up point in Lime Springs have consideration and are part of the route design.
- ACADEMICALLY the District's focus will continue to be to "empower and prepare students to to think creatively, serve, contribute and succeed locally and globally".
- Because of some teacher resignations, staff assignments are not completely finalized at this point. More information and updates will follow.
- It is realized that Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), linked with Literacy, are the skill sets our kids will need to be able to compete globally. In the last 24 months Howard-Winn has become the leader in NE IOWA for implementing STEM programing.
- The District will continue to move forward and with enhanced BROADBAND internet access, we will be able to accelerate our transformation exponentially.
Meals from the Heartland: Howard-Winn
A big "WAY TO GO" Howard-Winn Staff for participating in the "Jeans for Meal"! This is a great "win-win"! We got to wear jeans for the week and every dollar collected was matched. With over $1,600+ collected, that means we are $3,200 towards the needed $12,000 for 50,000 meals.
Graduation last Sunday was FANTASTIC! Great job Mr. Felderman and your TEAM for a wonderful ceremony. It was also special that the entire Howard-Winn Board of Education were present and took part in the festivities. Howard-Winn is a special place!
Nice job 7th and 8th grade Music students! Your concert ROCKED!
Good Luck CADETS at the State Track Meet! Enjoy the moment!
GREAT JOB Junior High Track TEAMS! Congratulations to ALL for your hard work!
Say Hello to Andrew Whithers, Student Teacher from Luther
Andrew is seeking a middle school specialist in math and history. He is an avid fan of baseball and jazz drums. Give him a "shout out" on TWITTER at @awith16 or @awithed
Andrew is looking forward to a great experience at Howard-Winneshiek with Gary Steffen, Jerry Steffen, and Jeff Blythe in the middle school and with Kim Kerian in the elementary! EXCITED to have him on Campus this fall!
A time to remember...........
We are fortunate to be living in the United States. The men and women serving in our Armed Force deserve our thanks and appreciation. Their sacrifices, and the sacrifices of their families, to keep us safe, are greatly appreciated and greatly valued. This Memorial Weekend pause, reflect, and hold them, and theirs families, in your thoughts.