Special Events for the Week of May 26 - June 1, 2014
Monday: Memorial Day - NO SCHOOL
Wednesday: 7-12 Staff Laptop Roll-in Meeting - 3:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8th to 9th Grade Special Education Transition Meeting - 3:30 p.m.
Friday: JH/HS Student Services Meetings - 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.
2014-2015 Early Out Wednesday Schedule
The Competency Based Education Team has been addressing various topics in anticipation of full implementation of CBE for the 2016-2017 school year. Advisory time will be a big part of this implementation.
As well, discussion for the past 3 years has focused on the daily schedule on Early Out Wednesdays. The short amount of time for each period has been a problem. This is especially true for performance based classes, i.e. band, choir, industrial technology, etc.
In an effort to maximize instructional time and allow for advisory time, the following schedule has been developed. Each period on Early Out Wednesdays will be 45 minutes in length. Advisory time will occur from 11:30 a.m. -12:15 p.m. ALL 7-12 grade students are required to participate in ADVISORY TIME.
More details will follow for teachers and students.
Competency Based Education Work Day Themes
- Empowering students to direct their own learning and take responsibility.
- Make our community an authentic partner in our endeavor. (Summer of listening.)
- Utilizing non-traditional learning environments / opportunities.
- Collaboration is essential to create a change in culture.
- Value of a vision, plan, create timeline and celebrate.
What do we currently do? What can we do to expand that?
- Project Lead the Way and CNC, G2 opportunities are encouraging students to learn in different modes.
- 1:1 adds to the non-traditional learning environments; flipped learning.
- Collaboration / PLC work -- use that to direct the CBE movement.
- Students how to think and empower -- continue to work with students to go beyond traditional thinking. The mindset is being set that students have different options to guide their learning. Sometimes changing learning is a student issue versus a teacher issue. Changing the mindset.
- Collaboration is essential to creating a changed culture. Need to increase collaborative time to everyday, if possible.
Student Work Highlights
The following video was shared at the Howard-Winneshiek Foundation "Kick-off" Event this past week. The video provides a great showcase of student talents.