Special Events for the Week of October 13 - October 19, 2014
Monday: Admin Meeting - 9:00 am
Sophomore Class Ring Meeting - 1:40 pm
Tuesday: Iowa CBE Collaborative - Altoona
Thursday: Iowa CBE Collaborative Design Team Follow Up - 9:00 am
Friday: Sophomore Class Ring Orders - 11:30 am - HS Student Center
Counseling/At-Risk Weekly Meeting - 1:00 p.m.
Youth Frontiers - The Character Challenge
Homecoming Was A Success!Great students make a great Homecoming Week. Fantastic hall decorations, great dress-up days, fun parade, lively Powder Puff game, family activities, and energetic coronation were a part of this year’s activities. THANK YOU to the students, staff, and community for making the past week so enjoyable!
October 10 Teacher Professional Development
7th - 12th grade teachers this past week continued their work with Competency Based Education. Specifically, the conversations focused on what does CBE look like and developing "I Can" statements.
The agenda included:
- Review the 5 Principles of CBE
- Competencies - what do they look like?
- Umbrella metaphor for competencies
- Discussion and development of "I Can" Statements
- What are the pieces of the competency that kids have know to meet this competency?
Examples of the Social Studies "I Can" statements...
I (student) Can...
- determine a central idea and analyze how it is developed through details of a relevant document
- apply historical background to determine solutions to current issues
- manage my time and efforts in a constructive manner
- work in a constructive manner inside a group
- present information and supportive evidence to listeners and readers in a variety of formats
Agenda from the October 8 Homebase:
- "Fingers Up Playoffs"
- Wellness Activity
- Discussion on "Why I Think This World Should End" Video
- Begin Student Led Conferences work
"Why I Think This World Should End" Video
At 2:35 in the video, the tone changes - you will be inspired, VERY POWERFUL!