Friday, August 14, 2015

August 14, 2015 - Crestwood Secondary

Crestwood Secondary Schools (7-12)
http://www.howard-winn.k12.ia.us/crestwood-junior-high 

Chris Rogne, Principal
crogne@howard-winn.k12.ia.us
office: 563-547-2764
Twitter: @chris_rogne


9th Grade Orientation

9th grade Orientation will be held on Wednesday, August 19th at 8:30 a.m. at the high school.

The day will begin with a welcome and introductions in the auditorium followed by some mini-sessions.

Mini-Session topics include: 
Computer roll-out
Strategies for Academic Success
Building Tour
Information from NICC
Attendance Information

The morning orientation will end around 11:00 with an Iowa College Access Network Presentation and a message from the principal. Mrs. Dickman, the food service director, will inform students about the school nutrition program and provide students with a snack. Lunch will also be provided for any student wishing to eat lunch through the summer lunch program. 

Throughout the morning students will have chances to ask questions. 

Open House/Laptop Roll-out Night

Please plan on attending the Open House/Laptop Roll-out Night on Thursday, August 20th.

Schedule for the night:
5:00     Student/Family Picnic in the High School Student Center
6:00     Principal's Message in the HS Gymnasium
6:15     Cyber-safety presentation in the HS Gymnasium
7:00     Laptop Rollout for students in their Homebase rooms

As a reminder, the first day of school is Monday, August 24th.  

Fall practices have started.  Students have been up early, enduring the heat, and getting in the routine of practice in preparation for the upcoming seasons.



Fall Activities

Fall practices have started. Students have been up early, enduring the heat, and getting in the routine of practice in preparation for the upcoming seasons. 




NICC Update:

The first day of concurrent enrollment classes will be on Monday, August 24th.

Facilities:

The maintenance staff has been hard at work all summer. The floors have a fresh coat of wax and the walls have a new coat of paint. Things are looking sharp around campus. Thank you to the whole maintenance staff for their work preparing the school for this school year.  

Students will be welcomed back to school with new and updated tables and chairs in the High School Student Center. The table and chairs look great. The Student Center will be a great place for students to gather and socialize. 



Meet Mr. Rogne

Where did you attend college? 

I first attended Waldorf College and earned an AA degree. I went on to Wartburg College to earn a BA. I earned my MS from Drake University.

How many years have you been an educator? How many years at Howard-Winn?

This year starts my 15th year as an educator. This is my first year at Howard-Winn. I did work on the summer custodial staff and worked as an assistant baseball coach here while I attended college. 

What grade levels do you work with?

7th - 12th grade

What subjects do you teach?

I am currently the Secondary Principal at Crestwood. My first jobs in education was as a K-6 Physical Education teacher at Clarke CSD in Osceola, IA. I was a 5-12 P.E. teacher, athletic director, and coach at Ventura CSD for five years. For the past seven years I have been at West Fork CSD in Rockwell, IA. While there I was an Alternative School Instructor, building technology coordinator, JH technology teacher, JH athletic director, and varsity baseball coach. The past two years I was the PK-8 Principal/JH AD at West Fork. 

Was there a particular event or person/people that inspired you to want to be a teacher?

I graduated from Crestwood High School. Throughout my time here I had many great teachers and coaches who had a positive impact on me and inspired me to become an educator. 

What is your favorite thing about Howard-Winn?

The people. As I have been able to meet some of the students over the past few weeks, I am reaffirmed that this is a great organization to be part of. I am excited to meet all of the students as they return to school next week. 

Any words of wisdom or advice?

“Education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mineworker can become the head of the mine, that a child of farm workers can become the president of a great nation. It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.” —Nelson Mandela

“If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.” — Zig Ziglar

More about Mr. Rogne:

I enjoy baseball, running, table tennis, camping, and spending time with my family. The Twins are my favorite team and I enjoy watching games at Target Field. I have ran eight marathons and hope to complete more in the future. My wife, Courtney, is an educator and will be a 5th grade teacher at Notre Dame. We have three children: Brelynne (10), Knute (7), and Leif (5). They are excited to be Cadets. 






No comments:

Post a Comment