Friday, August 19, 2016

Terese Jurgensen ~ Director of Student Services ~ August 19th, 2016


 Welcome Back Staff

We are excited to welcome back our teaching and support staff today, August 19th, to the 2016-2017 school year! We have a lot of excellent learning and collaborating events planned for the next 2 days with the culminating focus on the new school year!
     
To the left, I am pictured with Dr. Ross Greene, the author of Collaborative Proactive Solutions, whom I met this summer when Alicia Martin and I presented at the Global Social Thinking Conference in San Francisco. To say that meeting Dr. Greene was one of the most rewarding experiences of my professional career, would be an understatement. For the past 10 years, I have read, studied and utilized CPS, understanding and believing that "Kids Do Well if They Can!" I shared the CPS model today with our staff during the opening professional development meetings. Here are the highlights: 








We are honored to welcome new staff to our school district this year. To the special education department, we have a new high school staff member, Casey Bouska. Mr. Bouska is a Luther graduate and has worked as a special education and as an at-risk teacher for several years. I first met Casey when I presented at an Alternative Education conference several years ago, and I am thrilled at our good fortune to have him as a vital member of our team. Mr. Bouska is a Crestwood High School graduate and is well respected and well-liked by everyone who knows him. Welcome, Mr. Bouska!



            Max Garcia - 
Holocaust Survivor
To the left is Max Garcia, the father of Michelle Garcia Winner, author of Social Thinking, the social-emotional strategies we use here at Howard-Winn. I met Max this summer at the Social Thinking Conference and bought his book, "Auschwitz, Auschwitz...I Cannot Forget You" 

Mr. Garcia's story and his life is both unforgettable and unreal. We sat for several hours discussing what it was like to spend several years in a total of 4 different concentration camps. It is a story that must be told and in Max's words, "I am a missionary! Our future generations must know the truth, so it is not repeated!" 

I am excited to announce, that Howard-Winneshiek CSD is partnering with the Howard County Foundation and the National Historical Society to bring Max Garcia to Cresco on Tuesday, September 27th to share his story with our students and also to present to the community at the Cresco Theater from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Copies of Max's book will be sold at the theater that evening, and he will sign every copy. If you would like to get a copy of Max's book before the event, you may email me, Terese Jurgensen or call me at (563) 929-6344. I have 50 copies available, and I know they will go quickly. They cost $20, and I promise you, will be a book that you will not be able to put down! 

Please be sure and visit our Open House for parents and students on Tuesday, August 23rd! Parents, you may also schedule online (just like parent-teacher conferences) to solidify a time with your children's teachers. High School students & parents we will look for you in the evening for an opportunity to walk through your class schedule, speak with your teachers and pick up your computers!  




Looking forward to a wonderful school year!  
Please do not hesitate to reach me, 
Terese Jurgensen at
tjurgensen@howard-winn.k12.ia.us
(563) 929-6344


No comments:

Post a Comment