When students are observed showing their Cadet Pride with the words they use and the choices they make, they can earn Cadet Pride Tickets. These tickets acknowledge the expected behaviors they are exhibiting. When a class reaches 200 Cadet Pride Tickets, they will be recognized for their positive behavior with a Cadet Pride Celebration in their classroom! Go Cadets!
Howard-Winneshiek Schools want parents/guardians to feel welcome in our school and to witness the engaging activities taking place in our classrooms. The safety of our students is of utmost importance. All visitors, including parents, are required to report to the office to sign in. A visitor, at the discretion of the principal, may be required to present a photo ID. If parents choose to visit their child during class time, the following procedures apply:
• The teacher must be notified at least 24 hours in advance and approve the timeframe in which parents intend to visit their student’s classroom.
• Parents must sign-in through the office. No person, other than the student’s parent/guardian, will be allowed to see the student without the parent/guardian’s written permission or the parent/guardian being present.
• Classroom visits or observations are limited to 45 minutes per visit.
• Classroom visits or observations will be permitted as long as their duration and/or frequency does not interfere with the delivery of instruction or disrupt the normal school environment as determined by the principal.
• This policy does not apply to those who, by law, are permitted to visit with children.
• Younger brothers or sisters are NOT allowed to visit school unless accompanied by their parents. Children who visit alone with one of our students must be similar in age to the student they are visiting.
• If visitors plan on eating lunch with a child, please notify the office at least 24 hours in advance to allow the cooks to plan food amounts accordingly.
• Remember the first two and the last two weeks are not the best times to visit classes.
Parents are welcome to volunteer at school. There are many tasks which volunteers can help with. Some parents prefer to complete tasks at home while others come to school to volunteer. If parents would like to share their time and talent with us, please talk to the child’s teacher about volunteering or call the school office. We welcome parental help. In school, volunteers must complete a criminal background check. This can be completed through the district office and may take a minimum of 2 weeks to process. Volunteers must reapply every three years.
School Vocal Concerts
In order to help parents to be better informed, we would like to announce the schedule for Crestwood Elementary Concerts for this year. All concerts will be at 6:30, with an expected length of 30 minutes each. Each grade level will have its own concert.
1st grade--Feb. 9th
2nd grade--Nov. 15th
3rd grade--Dec. 20
4th grade--Mar. 23rd
5th grade--Apr. 24th
6th grade--May 18th
Field Trip to the Ag Education Center at the Fairgrounds
Preschool Open House
The preschool students begin school on Tuesday, September 6th, but on Thursday, September 1st they had the opportunity to visit their classrooms, bring their supplies, discover the neat things in their classrooms, and talk to their teachers and paraprofessionals. Many students were excited to see the activities that the teachers have in their classrooms. They also got to make and eat a snack before they left.
Arrival and Dismissal
School begins each day at 8:15. Students who are eating breakfast may begin eating at 7:45. Please do not drop off your child or send them to school until 7:45, as there is no supervision until that time. School is dismissed at 3:20/3:25 each day. Dismissal time may be a bit chaotic with all the parents who pick up children. Please be patient when picking up your children as there are a lot of students coming out of the building at the same time. We ask that you drive slowly through our loop and be on the lookout for children crossing the street. Thank you in advance for your help in making dismissal time safe.
Fall School PicturesTransition Kindergarten and Elementary pictures will be on Tuesday, September 6th.
Cresco PreSchool pictures will be Thursday, September 8th.
How Much Sleep Does my Child Need?Now that school has began many parents are trying to get their children into a routine you. Parents may wonder what time children should go to bed.
Children are a bit different in the amount of sleep that they need, but this chart can be helpful as parents think about their children, a bedtime routine, what time they need to wake up, and what will help them to wake up ready to go.
Classroom Redemption Collection
The Crestwood Cadet PTO continues to sponsor a Classroom Redemption Collection. Students are encouraged to ask friends, neighbors and out of town and in town relatives to start collecting on their behalf. Funds raised from these efforts are used to purchase materials, supplies, and other things for the building and students. Please be generous in your support for our PTO.