Friday, May 12, 2017

Terese Jurgensen ~ Director of Student Services/Special Education ~ May 12, 2017


Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

It has been a fun week for me as we celebrate our teaching staff here at Howard-Winneshiek CSD! As we look at the remarkable changes in the teaching profession in our state and in our nation, it has been a joy taking a week to celebrate the teachers in our district. For purposes of this update, I would like to share out fun pictures of the teachers and areas I supervise. I am privileged each and every day to work alongside and create positive systems by partnering with our Special Education staff, Success Team that works with our students who need extra support for educational success, Gifted and Talented and the English Language Learners. I hope you enjoy the pictures and at the end of this blog, I have the joy of introducing you to the new staff members of these departments.


Pictured here are just a few of our Special Education & Success Team Staff!





Tiffany McCabe, is our elementary guidance counselor.  We appreciate her amazing love for kids, wisdom, leader of our PBIS initiative, support to teaching staff and guidance lessons...to name a few!













Rita Altman, pictured to the right here, will retire this year. We wish her well and appreciate her years of servant leadership to junior high special education students and families. Rita also served students during the after-school tutoring program. Ms. Altman will be missed!











Keith Anderlik is our Elementary Success Team teacher. Keith is pictured here during one of his amazing Lunch Buddies program. Keith has met with groups of students of all grade levels throughout the school year during lunch. Mr. Anderlik began this program to connect to kids, support them and have fun with them over a warm meal!






Linda Walter is pictured here with a few of the students she serves. Her students were excited to be in this picture and show their APPRECIATION for one of their favorite teachers! 








It has been a privilege for me to serve alongside our high school special education staff team of amazing teachers! Pictured from the left is Jill McConnell, Casey Bouska, Karen Parks, (me) and Alicia Martin!  Our high school staff has staffed out countless young people who are reaching and exceeding their goal areas this year!







Dory Fravel, pictured here next to Stacie Vermeer is another one of our special eduction staff members who is retiring this year. It is hard to put into words the impact that Dory has made with students in our Elma, Lime Springs and now Crestwood building. Her great sense of humor and love for kids will be missed!








Megan Merkel, preschool lead teacher is shown here in action with some of our preschool learners. The preschool staff complete with Sally Tieskoetter and Kristi Holthous are doing an amazing job teaching our youngest learners not only their A-B-C's but the social emotional skills necessary for student achievement!






Marsha McCabe, is another staff member who is also retiring this year. Marsha is one of the most pro-active, creative teachers I have had the privilege of working with during my career. She is always positive, caring and faithful to our students and families. She will be missed!











No, these are not three princesses from the Disney movies! They are three of our special education elementary teachers. From the left is Stacie Vermeer who has served students at Crestwood and Notre Dame. In the middle is  Jessie Cummings who has also served students in these same locations. On the right is Carrie McCarville who many know has served our students in 6th grade, but will now join our special education staff! Thank you, ladies for all you do!



Pictured to the right is Mary Watt and Shari Marr. Mary will be retiring after serving the district in Ridgeway and in Cresco. Mary has shared a great passion for students and especially those who needed an extra hug, a kind word, or a special treat. Mary will truly be missed by the students, families and the Howard-Winn staff! Alongside Mary is Shari Marr who has served as Crestwood's TK and special education teacher. We are excited to add her full-time to the elementary special education staff!

I will share more pictures of staff members next week! Introducing our newest staff members!

Samantha Rasmussen 
English Language Learner Coordinator

I was born in Cedar Rapids and moved to Ossian in 5th grade. Upon graduating from South Winn, I attended UNI. There, I earned my masters in Early Childhood Special Education. UNI is also where I met my husband, Bryant. We moved to Denison where I have taught special education (2.5 years) and TK (3years). 

During this time we have been blessed with 2 children and number 3 is on the way. Our son, Jacob, will be turning 4 in June and is very excited to be going to school in the fall. Our daughter, Harper, will be 2 in August. She wants to do everything her big brother does. Baby Noah will be coming in June. We are excited to become a family of 5. 

My parents and all of my siblings live in the Decorah/Ossian area. I am excited to be close to them again.

We can't wait to start our adventure in Cresco and be a part of the a Howard-Winn team.


                                                                                                    Tara Henry
         Junior High Special Education Teacher
                                  
I grew up in Cresco and graduated from Crestwood in 1996.  I graduated from Grand Canyon University with a double major in Elementary Education and Special Education and then returned there to get my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction in Literacy.  I lived on an island in Washington State for 14 years and moved back to Cresco in 2010.




















I've been teaching 5th through 8th grade special education reading and language at Decorah Middle School for the past 6 years. I am very passionate about literacy and helping kids who struggle and dislike reading.  My goal is for them to love reading! I got married last summer and together Phil and I have 6 teenagers. Every day is an awesome adventure!




        Kim Langum 
Elementary Special Education Teacher


I am Kimberly Langum. For the past three years I have been teaching at LeRoy-Ostrander.  I have taught students in the  Middle School Autism program and Kindergarten. I went to Luther College for my Elementary Education degree with Learning Disabilities K-12, Emotional and Behavior Disorders K-12, and Reading K-6 endorsements. I grew up in Cresco and went to Crestwood schools.  

I live in Cresco, Iowa with my husband, Keith and daughter, Ivy. We are Shorthorn cattle farmers. We love fishing, hunting, and anything that gets us outside. I am very excited to get back to my roots and teach at Howard-Winn!






Looking forward to wonderful last weeks of school! If you need to reach me, Terese Jurgensen, please do not hesitate to reach out at (563) 929-6344 or at my email address: tjurgensen@howard-winn.k12.ia.us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment